Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Poetic Thoughts # 2 - Science Reigns Supreme





The 'Poetic Thought' below describes a common, layman making friends with a sophisticated 'Theoretical Physicist'. The Layman first views science as something incomprehensible (Which, I'm sure, we all have done!) and weird. He describes his friendship with the Physicist and then hints about something big. Then comes the great man's big discovery, a Theory of Everything (something Einstein had been working on). Only then does the Layman understand what science means to the world, and makes a call. Read on!


Glad you came to
Hear a Story
Of somebody
Neg-Lec-Ted.

This great man
Whom I met in my Garden
Every-Day.
He used Scientific jargon,
Used to blabber sumthin' 'bout Argon,
I didn't care.


In the neighborhood he'd come to stay,
As I watched him through my window everyday.
Then one day he called me in,
I was greeted by the smell of paper within.
His house was a laboratory,
Papers, Books a lot of Mystery.
He told me he had no body,
He was so de-jec-ted.


Then I asked him his objective,
But his answer was not definitive.
A theoretician, he called himself,
Elegantly dressed from top to bottom
Often inquired, "Do people care whats inside an Atom?"


He said he worked,
He put his mind.
All for the benefit of Mankind.

"All for Science" was his motto,
But within himself he wondered,
How far can this all go.

He was working on something,
Something big,
He always protected,
He admitted, he was always,
Neg-Lec-Ted.
But his thoughts reflected,
The perfect man he was.

He often said amalgamation,
Was the only solution
He was working on TOE (A theory of Everything)
Incorporating Relativity and String Theory
He said, that was the Key
To understanding the physical world.


Unification, he said, is my prime motivation,
And reaching it is jubilation.
But in the end he did reach there,
To me this was all obscure, I didn't care.

Then one day - Front Page Headlines
The man was there,
This time, Yes, I did care.
By evening he was everywhere,
TV, Papers and the internet was taken by rage.

Only then did I comprehend,
The enormity of his work,
What had been an obscurity,
Took better of my curiosity.

If his work meant,
Faster Computers, Cell Phones and Better Technology.
Then it means a lot to the community.


What was every scientist's dream,
The 'icing' on the Cream,
Was realised that day.
Till we Earthlings wait for that moment,
Let Science reign supreme.

Let Science reign supreme.

(Currently, physicists are working on a 'Theory of Everything'. Do remember that as the work done in Quantum Theory and Relativity gave us spinoffs like the Laser, TVs, Cell Phones, Computers and in modern sense, Technology. Similar spinoffs are likely if a TOE is formulated)

No comments:

Post a Comment